[Mageia-dev] ANN: For the brave. systemd v185 in cauldron updates_testing

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 26 16:05:20 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 26/06/12 14:54 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 03:49:25PM +0200, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>>> Regarding what actually changed, I think X used to inherit the tty's
>>> locale settings (which are obviously correct as you can login there) but
>>> now it does not. Something like that.
>>
>> I doubt this. That would have affected mga2 too.

Not if the change in behaviour was between systemd 44 and systemd 185
(or udev 181 and usev 185). Then this is mostly expected.

> I enabled all the systemd configure options for the various GNOME
> packages. So this is a fallout from that.

I don't think so as if this were the case, downgrading the systemd
package would not cause things to work again...

Also, I think this also affected Dexter Morgan in KDM+KDE so I don't
think it is gnome related.

I think it's somehow a product of the environment that starts X, either
by not setting the tty settings for the pseudo console or something like
that...

I'll need to poke upstream some more, but the long term solution is
likely the same as we're gearing up for a tty-less word with Wayland
anyway so anything that relies solely on the tty to inherit things from
is probably flawed by design (and I'm talking purely design here - I do
not even want to enter into any kind of discussion about not enabling
ttys as it's not something I care to think about for a long time -
doesn't hurt to keep it in mind tho')