[Mageia-dev] What is Mageia's policy reagarding filesize display? (units/base 2 vs base 10)

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+mageia at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:26:12 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Thierry Vignaud
<thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 June 2012 14:57, Christian Lohmaier
> <lohmaier+mageia at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> * Would a patch against nautilus that restores base2 behavior be accepted?
>
> No.

Why not?

>> If not:
>> * Do you think it is OK to have commandline tools show different
>> values from GUI tools?

You did not provide and answer to this one.

>> * Do you think it is OK to display different numeric values than the
>> rest of the computer world?

You did not provide an answer to this one.

> Are you aware KiB != Kb ?

Obviously I am. That's why I started the thread in the first place.
And that is why I wrote *numeric* values explicitly. It shows
"different numbers", the user doesn't pay so much attention to the
units themselves, only "k vs M vs G" - what matters is that a file
that has 240MB on Windows now is 252MB in nautilus.
Or that file he copied over the network from linux to his windows
computer now suddenly is 14 MB smaller.

Irrespective of that windows uses wrong units, that is not what the
user cares about, the user knows that there is a difference between MB
and KB. Whether the user is aware that windows uses 1024*1024 for "M"
as supposed to SI-style multiplier is irrelevant.
You don't expect users to compare the sizes in raw bytes, do you?

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobit
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KiB

Thanks for clearly demonstrating that you did not bother trying to
understand the topic at hand.

ciao
Christian