[Mageia-dev] What is Mageia's policy reagarding filesize display? (units/base 2 vs base 10)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 26 17:14:40 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Christian Lohmaier at 26/06/12 15:26 did gyre and gimble:
> Obviously I am. That's why I started the thread in the first place.
> And that is why I wrote *numeric* values explicitly. It shows
> "different numbers", the user doesn't pay so much attention to the
> units themselves, only "k vs M vs G" - what matters is that a file
> that has 240MB on Windows now is 252MB in nautilus.
> Or that file he copied over the network from linux to his windows
> computer now suddenly is 14 MB smaller.

What about if they transfer a file from OSX to Linux? OSX uses base 10:

e.g. my file created by:

dd if=/dev/zero of=foo.txt bs=1m count=10

ls -l shows the size as:  10485760
ls -lh shows the size as: 10M

i.e. base 2.

And in the Finder GUI it's shown as 10.5MB (i.e. base 10)

So what $OTHER_OS does is liable to be an avenue that will lead to
contradictions anyway.

Personally I don't give a flying fig what's shown :)