[Mageia-dev] Backports Summary

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Wed Jun 27 11:16:18 CEST 2012

Sander Lepik a écrit :
> 27.06.2012 10:56, andre999 kirjutas:
>
>> Or we could say "partially supported", or "low-priority support".
>> Since the support is more than just testing.
>>
> How is it more than testing? QA will test if the package installs w/o conflicts + will check
> that it at least starts. But that's about it. No deeper testing like with Firefox or with
> LibreOffice.

Ok, testing by QA is less detailed.  After preliminary testing before
reaching QA, which presumably is more involved.  Complex packages like
Firefox or LibreOffice necessarily need more testing in any case.
But don't forget that the packager is committed to providing security
updates and bug fixes, much as for regular packages.  Which is more than
"just testing".

>> Nominally, it is almost as much as regular packages, but with a lower priority.
>>
> Regular packages get updates in special repo. Backports won't - so can't agree here either. :)

The advantage of separate release repos when looking for updates, is
that scanning all the (much more numerous) release packages is avoided.
Otherwise (as far as updates are concerned), one could put the release
and regular updates in the same repo.
Backports will be relatively limited in number, and the release repo for
backports would be necessarily empty.  So there is no point in two repos
for backports.  Backports are essentially updates.  (Albeit a special
kind.)  That is, changes from the release.

We only want to install a backport if expressly selected, or a
corresponding backport is already installed.
Much as we would only want to install a package from an update repo if
it is expressly selected, or a corresponding update or release package
is already installed.

--
André