[Mageia-dev] Backports Summary

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Wed Jun 27 13:51:38 CEST 2012

Le mardi 26 juin 2012 22:25:10 Thomas Backlund a écrit :
> And since we can continue this what/if discussion forever,
> and thereby delay backports even more here is my take on it:
>
> my suggestions to decide on question 1 and 2:
> 1. backporting bigger version to mga1 than mga2 has is
>     allowed as it will otherwise restrict backporting
>     too much. (and since its leaf packages, it should
>     not break (too much)). Lets just make it clear to
>     everyone using backports.

Ok for me, but would be better if before upgrade a warning is raised because
of backports that cannot be updated and could possibily prevent the upgrade of
other packages.

> 2. we cant really require that as the one backporting
>     the package to mga1 has to backport it to mga2 too
>     as he/she might not be using mga2 at all. if someone
>     wants/needs the backport for mga2, they need to
>     request that. (in reality, going by how backports
>     got handled in mdv most backports will end up in
>     all supported releases anyway)

Thinking of when upgrade tools will allow to take backports into account for
upgrade, I'd rather require that packages be backported to both mga2 and mga1
so that upgrade always works, but until then if people prefer your option I
won't speak against.

Ok, and people join QA to test backports if you really want them ! :)

Samuel