[Mageia-dev] Backports Summary

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Wed Jun 27 16:53:44 CEST 2012

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012, andre999 wrote:

> nicolas vigier a écrit :

>>> No problem.  If the requirements of version 14 are present in mga2, then
>>> the backport will (very likely) continue to work normally.  If the versions
>>> of the required packages change, they will be updated with the upgrade.
>>> Since version 13 of mga2 is less than the version 14 of the backport, it
>>> won't be installed.
>>>
>> There is no guaranty that requirements of version 14 mga1 backports are
>> all available in mageia 2. If it is linked with libsomething.so.1, but
>> mageia 2 only has libsomething.so.2, then there is a problem.
>>

> That was my point.
> I was suggesting that it be required that backport requires be compatible
> with newer releases.

And how do you check that it is compatible, without testing ? And how do
you test that it will be compatible with a newer release that is not yet
released ?

Maybe we can also require that backports are bugfree, so we don't have
to manage backport updates.

> In your example, cauldron would probably require the libsomething.so.2, so
> if the backport requires could be adjusted to work with libsomething.so.1,
> we would keep the requires compatible with libsomething.so.2.  If that
> isn't possible, then it wouldn't be accepted.

We cannot link a program with both libsomething.so.1 and
libsomething.so.2.

> I'm no expert of course, but it seems to me that it would be generally
> possible as long as there weren't important code changes made to make the
> backport work.
> So it would largely be a question of appropriately adjusting the specified
> requires.

A lot of requires are generated automatically, we cannot change them
(and changing them would probably be wrong). And a lot of requires are
not versionned, but implicitly require the version available in the
same mageia release, without any guaranty that it works with a different
version.