[Mageia-dev] fatback - can we distribute it?

Charles A Edwards CAE at eslrahc.com
Fri Mar 2 06:52:30 CET 2012

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 06:24:02 +0100
"Johnny A. Solbu" <cooker at solbu.net> wrote:

> > I have uploaded fatback to svn but would like a review regarding
> > the license or rather the manual wording re. it's use before
> > submitting.
>
> I did a "grep -i license" and found that everywhere where the GPL is
> mentioned, which is 5 files and the COPYING, is version 2, not v1 as
> you have in the spec License tag. You should fix that.

Did you look at COPYING?

As a header above the GPLv2 license:

* NOTICE:
* The following license applies only to the
* files getopt.c, getopt.h, and getopt1.c.
* these are borrowed from glibc.
* This licence does not in any way apply
* to the remainder of the fatback program

Because of the dubious/uncertain license for "the remainder of the
fatback program" I feel that the same course as debian would be the
most prudent action.

    Charles

--
Learning French is trivial: the word for horse is cheval, and
everything else follows in the same way.