[Mageia-dev] executable libraries

Anssi Hannula anssi at mageia.org
Fri Mar 2 15:22:23 CET 2012

02.03.2012 00:17, Maarten Vanraes kirjoitti:
> Op donderdag 01 maart 2012 23:05:35 schreef Anssi Hannula:
> [...]
>>> does this mean debug info fails for these?
>>
>> I'm not immediately sure (I never remember how the debug/stripping stuff
>> works exactly), but I think either a) debug symbols extraction and thus
>> -debug packaging, b) stripping, or c) both will fail with non-executable
>> shared libs.
>
> in that case i guess we would need a policy or bs check to make sure we don't
> fail some libraries debug and strip

Possibly.

Interestingly, Debian policy disallows executable permission on shared libs:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html#s-sharedlibs-runtime

"Shared libraries should not be installed executable, since the dynamic
linker does not require this and trying to execute a shared library
usually results in a core dump."

--
Anssi Hannula