[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel

Kamil Rytarowski n54 at gmx.com
Fri Mar 2 20:43:43 CET 2012

On 02.03.2012 19:55, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> 02.03.2012 20:49, Kamil Rytarowski skrev:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Is possible to ship qt3-devel with Mageia? Half of the the Polish
>> community is demanding it, and because of lack of qt3-devel people can't
>> switch from other Well Known Distros to Mageia.
>>
> NO.
>
> As stated a million times before...
>
> qt3 is obsolete
>
> The only reason we have some qt3 runtime support is because of LSB
Sad..

> Any stuff needed should be ported to qt4.
Actually this is not true. One of our Mageia users (who introduced
Mageia on a dozen of machines) can't switch the next dozen because of
lacking Rivendell Radio Broadcasting software (
http://www.rivendellaudio.org/index.shtml ), the other can't use his
favourite qt3 apps, and a few others (including RH employee) are forced
to use Fedora or KDE4.

If the "obsolete" part is the only reason, then it's not too strong..
the package is maintained and there is *upstream*.

As of the 3.5.13 release the Trinity project has taken over maintenance
of Qt3.

     This means we are the new "upstream" location for up-to-date Qt3
source code.
     Since there have been no updates or stable releases from
Nokia/Trolltech in many years and there are literally hundreds patches
floating around, there was a significant need for a central location.
     By maintaining Qt3 it will allow us to continue to improve Qt3
outside the scope of Trinity. It will also provide a central location
for Linux distributions to build packages from, and contributers to
submit code to.
     For obvious reasons any Qt3 version released by this project is
licensed under the GPL only; holders of Trolltech Qt licenses may not
use these versions in their proprietary projects.

http://www.trinitydesktop.org/wiki/bin/view/Documentation/Releases_3_5_13#Qt3

Trinity is currently packaged for Mandriva, OpenSUSE and available for
the main distros.

> --
> Thomas

BTW. Your statement trigged outcry to start forking Mga :)