[Mageia-dev] Versions freeze

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Mar 3 10:42:49 CET 2012

Le vendredi 02 mars 2012 à 16:06 +0100, Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
> On Friday 02 March 2012 15:31, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> > Back in my school days when we had to do a home work project of 1
> > month our teacher used to remind us the day before scheduled deadline
> > - for people like me it meant to start working on the project!
> >
> > Some people may be like me...
>
> Maybe we should have a policy on when to remind developers on version freezes.
> Say, one or two weeks before the freeze, so they get a chance to submit final changes.

We reminded there is version freeze coming during meetings ( like
http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-dev/2012/mageia-dev.2012-02-15-20.13.log.html#l-75 ), or what is the plan until the release ( http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-dev/2012/mageia-dev.2012-01-26-20.03.html ).
We gave the list of date in advance
( https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_development ) and a link to the
planning in every mail of announce, as well in blog posts and forums
post.

We have a calendar ( http://www.mageia.org/en/calendar/ ), where the
freeze was given.

And I expect people to either be experienced packager ( ie who have
already done 1 release and so know the rules ), or to be new packagers
with a experienced packager ( ie mentor ) who should have explained the
release cycle.

So if people have missed the whole plan, there is a problem that we need
to fix, and the first step would be to collect reasons why they did
missed it, not nag more everybody on every possible channels.

For people who didn't miss and who read the mails etc, the reminder are
annoying and the more reminder we put, the more they will start to
ignore them. And I see no reason to annoy those that do the job and
follow thing to help those that don't.

So if someone want to start collecting feedback, digesting it and
present it, just say that you are volunteer on the list, and start the
collect.

--
Michael Scherer