[Mageia-dev] BS broken ?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 6 12:25:14 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Thomas Spuhler at 06/03/12 02:33 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:42:49 AM Thomas Backlund wrote:
>> 04.03.2012 20:16, Thomas Spuhler skrev:
>>> The last successful build went through Feb. 10, 2012. I haven't upgraded
>>> and built any after that date until last weekend when they all failed to
>>> build. I would have to change 80+ packages that are now using the pear
>>> type spec. I don't have the bandwidth to do that.
>>>
>>> The message I get is this:
>>>
>>> Unknown channel "pear.horde.org"
>>> Parsing of package.xml from file "/var/tmp/pearwYoowh/package.xml" failed
>>> Cannot initialize '/home/iurt/rpm/SOURCES/Horde_Itip-1.0.7.tgz', invalid
>>> or missing package file
>>> Package "/home/iurt/rpm/SOURCES/Horde_Itip-1.0.7.tgz" is not valid
>>> install failed.
>>
>> Well, you better start fixing the packages...
>>
>> Maybe you can download & fix it in the specs only to save bw....
>>
>> Anything building on BS must build with only official mageia repos...
>>

>> Otherwise we wont know what ends up in the packages.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> Thomas:
>
> Many of the pear packages require to have the pear-cahnnel installed. Most of
> the horde require it. It's not installing a package.
> We are not the only one, fedora folks do it too:
> http://nb.fedorapeople.org/horde-reviews/php-horde-Horde-Http.spec
>
> BuildRequires:  php-channel(pear.horde.org)
>
> installing this package needs to add pear-channel-horde. If it doesn't the
> package doesn't build.
> They do not even use a pearized specification.

It's nothing to do with adding or not the channel. It's the fact that
this operation requires network access. You need to patch the systems
such that they do not require network access to add the channel.

This is a rule that has been in place for a long time. I'm surprised
it's only coming up as an issue now to be honest.

The same thing happens when e.g. there are not XML schemas installed
locally for man page building and similar. It's just a matter of
installing the relevant package to provide local, cached versions.