[Mageia-dev] Minimum install of cauldron don't start console

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Tue Mar 6 13:38:36 CET 2012

* Colin Guthrie (mageia at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Olivier Thauvin at 06/03/12 09:24 did gyre and gimble:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I just try to install a cauldron to setup a test IPv6 firewall/router.
> > To setup server I do a minimum install:
> > - /boot on its own partition
> > - /var /tmp and swap on lvm
> > - select no packages categories but yes install doc
> > - no post configuration, so no X11 (hey it's a server)
> >
> > At boot the system started but stop to "starting display manager" (??)
> > and I were unable to reach any text terminal.
>
> No text terminal at all? Not on tty2 or 3?

Indeed, alt + F2 show the login prompt. But before I pressed alt + F2 ps
was not showing any "*getty" program, a bit confusing, especially since
there is nothing on first console.

> If you try and start dm (prefdm.service) then you will NOT get a tty1
> getty (prefdm.service conflicts with getty at tty1.service), but all other
> tty's should be fine (handled by autovt at .service)

Maybe, but I never asked to have prefdm and in fact I don't want X
terminal.

All sys admin expect to have a tty on first console and just having
"starting dm service" whereas I know it cannot start is really
confusing.

Cannot prefdm/X11/whatever be started on 7nd console like during the
years 90th ? :)

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS