[Mageia-dev] Minimum install of cauldron don't start console

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 6 15:53:36 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Frank Griffin at 06/03/12 14:25 did gyre and gimble:
> On 03/06/2012 09:10 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Sorry, I was unclear in my last email. I've not enabled the ability to
>> start a second X+DM yet (it needs changes to the DM's themselves which
>> I've not looked at - tho' it should be pretty simple) such that you
>> can specify the vt to use when they are started. Then I'd need to
>> adjust autovt to start a wrapper script that starts either getty or
>> X+DM as appropriate. So this isn't in place yet, but I do still think
>> it's the way forward. Should be possible to get it done I think. Col
>
> OK, so static gettys are gone, dynamic ones don't work yet, and X+DM
> can't yet start if you CTRL-ALT-Fn, which says that the only unexpected
> part of what I'm seeing is that CTRL-ALT-Fn stays with the current
> desktop rather than going to a black screen ...

Sorry, I'm clearly not writing very eloquently today!!

Dynamic getty's should work fine. I am using them here and even the
initial message in this thread from Nanar said he also had it working
(well his reply to m y response did).

(Just to explain: this is configured in
/etc/systemd/systemd-logind.conf. You should have NAutoVTs=6 (or have it
commented out) to get autovt's working... If it's set to 0 it is
disabled otherwise it should just work. See "man systemd-logind.conf"
for details)

So there is something on your system that is not working properly...

Not sure why it wouldn't work, but as you say, pressing the key combos
means you stay on the same desktop... if that is the case that would
imply something is broken before the vt auto-activation - i.e. something
in the key handling itself. I presume you are not using virtualbox or
similar? In VB you have to use RightShift+ALT+Fn...