[Mageia-dev] Minimum install of cauldron don't start console

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:57:56 CET 2012

2012/3/6 Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie>:
> 'Twas brillig, and Wolfgang Bornath at 06/03/12 16:56 did gyre and gimble:

>>> Probably a better solution, if you know that X is supposed to come up but
>>> isn't, is to automatically log him in as some new ID whose shell is a script
>>> something like the rescue console script.  The first thing it does is su him
>>> to prompt for the root password, and then presents a character-based dialog
>>> explaining his options, offering to run XFdrake, maybe running rpm/urpmi to
>>> see if all needed packages are installed, and giving him to option to exit
>>> to a real shell if he wants.
>>
>> Yes, that would be the next step on the road to user-friendly desaster
>> management.
>
> Well, that's my whole point!!!
>
>> As long as we do not have this a login prompt is better than nothing.
>
> So I should spend my time doing this, only to undo it later for a
> different solution?
>
> I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to waste time on this until it's decided
> that this is the all we're going to do and what we'll ship.
>
> As far as things stand I see it as tangential to what I'd like to
> achieve so I'd rather spend what limited time I have working on that
> than something that could ultimately be thrown away later.

Ah, ok, I understand your point now.
The big question is: What is the time span we are talking about here?
A week, month? Would you think you can achieve this better solution
until Mageia 2 RC? If so, I am totally ok with that. If you think it
will take longer than that, I do not think we can let this issue leave
hanging in the air when we approach Mageia 2 final, wasted work or
not.

--
wobo