[Mageia-dev] Minimum install of cauldron don't start console

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Tue Mar 6 21:29:56 CET 2012

Op dinsdag 06 maart 2012 21:19:49 schreef Colin Guthrie:
> 'Twas brillig, and Maarten Vanraes at 06/03/12 20:09 did gyre and gimble:
> > Op dinsdag 06 maart 2012 20:52:02 schreef Colin Guthrie:
> >> 'Twas brillig, and Maarten Vanraes at 06/03/12 19:41 did gyre and gimble:

> >> As in logging out and back in again or with fast user switching?
> >>
> >> The former has worked quite happily for me. Not tested the latter but I
> >> expect there to be some quirks.
> >>
> >> Col
> >
> > err, no, i mean 2 X sessions.
> >
> > often i have one KDE session running on vt8 and one for my wife on vt9
> > and sometimes on for my daughter at vt10...
>
> OK, so fast user switching then.
>
> > the question is, with the prefdm only conflicting with the first getty,
> > will several X sessions be possible?
>
> Yeah. They should, in theory at least, start on vt2 and vt3, tho' this
> may depend on the desktop itself. With GDM+Gnome the second session
> starts on tty2, the third on tty3 etc.
>
> There is a caveat however. If you have switched to tty2 before picking
> the "Login as another user" option, then autovt will have kicked in and
> started a getty there. It then "hogs" tty2 and prevents X from using it.
>
> Of course if I manage to get my idea working, switching to tty2 when in
> graphical.target will actually give you a graphical login prompt anyway,
> so pretty much the same thing as picking the "Login as another user"
> option from within the first graphical session.
>
> Col

ic...

i do hope we get some kind of vt that will always be tty? i do sometimes
require that, when getting too much load and OOM'ing...

also, it'd be nice to have as possibility (in the dm) to start a tty session
instead of a graphical session (as an alternative)

but i guess the important parts are all the other things...