[Mageia-dev] Deprecating startx

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:02:52 CET 2012

2012/3/7 Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie>:
> 'Twas brillig, and Wolfgang Bornath at 07/03/12 10:13 did gyre and gimble:
>>
>> Different from Guillaume I do care about the impact for the user.
>> There are many out there who are used to startx and also docs and
>> howtos which use it. Therefore we will need an explanation for
>> switching off startx.  An explanation to be used in forums, which is a
>> bit more than just a link to a bug report. In other words: to be
>> understood by non-techie users.
>
> To answer Guillaume's question, I wasn't personally planning on removing
> it fully. Just documenting that it is broken and that users should not
> use this as a mechanism for starting X.
>
> I would propose just putting in "echo 'startx is deprecated. Here is
> why.....   Press any key to continue anyway.' >&2; read -n 1" in the
> startx script such that users using it will be warned. Does this seem
> sensible?

It is sensible and enough for the situation at hand (when the user
actually punches in "startx" and the command does not work as
expected). In principle on the same level of information like "file
not found". That's all which is needed from the technical side.

People more close to the users will have to think of an explanation
without tech-talk, understandable for the user who comes to the forum
complaining that the command he had been using for many years (or
which is written in a documentation) does not work.

--
wobo