[Mageia-dev] Deprecating startx

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 7 17:20:32 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Zézinho at 07/03/12 15:32 did gyre and gimble:
> Em 07-03-2012 10:26, Colin Guthrie escreveu:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Unless someone comes along and does a reasonable amount of coding before
>> mga2, I think we'll have to deprecate supporting startx (it can still be
>> used in some circumstances, but audio and accelerated graphics will not
>> be available).
>>

> Now I know where the same problem with autologin comes from ;-)

Kinda, but really the autologin package should do the whole pam
conversation stuff itself, so it *should* be possible to make that work.

> I suppose using sysvinit allows to still use startx and autologin, so I
> will work at least without systemd.

For the time being, we will still support sysvinit and console-kit.
Using console-kit will still work (although various caveats are still
present in the way that console-kit "tracks" sessions (clue: It really
doesn't do any tracking at all!).

> Maybe we could only add this information to the Errata, along with an
> howto use sysvinit?

I'd rather not. We want people to use systemd by default and while
sysvinit will still limp on in mga2 it's definitely going to be a second
class citizen.

> If I followed things well, upgrades from MGA1 will continue using
> sysvinit, so people won't get this regression on upgrades?

No, they will get systemd. We just need to resolve an issue with the
upgrade to make this happen properly (could be a urpmi bug or something
similar).