[Mageia-dev] Deprecating startx

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 7 17:23:49 CET 2012

2012/3/7 Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie>:
> 'Twas brillig, and Johnny A. Solbu at 07/03/12 13:53 did gyre and gimble:
>> On Wednesday 07 March 2012 10:26, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> I think we'll have to deprecate supporting startx
>>
>> What should we use instead?
>
> A graphical login agent - i.e gdm, kdm, lxdm etc.

Nice try! What do I use on a minimal netbook installation where all I
have in X is an Xterm and a few applications (using mc in the xterm as
"menue" and application starter? Until today I'm using startx if I
want to start X on this machine (most of the time I do not use X
there).
This is one of the new moves I have to learn (not mentioning the tty chaos).

--
wobo