[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel

Matthew Dawkins mattydaw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 06:11:01 CET 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie>wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Kamil Rytarowski at 02/03/12 19:43 did gyre and gimble:

> can't
> >>>
> >> NO.
> >>
> >> As stated a million times before...
> >>
> >> qt3 is obsolete
> >>
> >> The only reason we have some qt3 runtime support is because of LSB
> > Sad..
> >>
> >> Any stuff needed should be ported to qt4.
> > Actually this is not true. One of our Mageia users (who introduced
> > Mageia on a dozen of machines) can't switch the next dozen because of
> > lacking Rivendell Radio Broadcasting software (
> > http://www.rivendellaudio.org/index.shtml ), the other can't use his
> > favourite qt3 apps, and a few others (including RH employee) are forced
> > to use Fedora or KDE4.
> >
> > If the "obsolete" part is the only reason, then it's not too strong..
> > the package is maintained and there is *upstream*.
> >
> > As of the 3.5.13 release the Trinity project has taken over maintenance
> > of Qt3.
> >
> >     This means we are the new "upstream" location for up-to-date Qt3
> > source code.
> >     Since there have been no updates or stable releases from
> > Nokia/Trolltech in many years and there are literally hundreds patches
> > floating around, there was a significant need for a central location.
> >     By maintaining Qt3 it will allow us to continue to improve Qt3
> > outside the scope of Trinity. It will also provide a central location
> > for Linux distributions to build packages from, and contributers to
> > submit code to.
> >     For obvious reasons any Qt3 version released by this project is
> > licensed under the GPL only; holders of Trolltech Qt licenses may not
> > use these versions in their proprietary projects.
> >

> http://www.trinitydesktop.org/wiki/bin/view/Documentation/Releases_3_5_13#Qt3
> >

> > Trinity is currently packaged for Mandriva, OpenSUSE and available for
> > the main distros.
>
> I am thoroughly unimpressed with this trinity stuff. Open Source
> software gives people freedoms and that's good, but it doesn't stop them
> making bad decisions.
>
> Times move on. Why take a legacy bit of software and keep on developing
> it? If they *really* cared so much for the KDE3 interface they would
> port it to qt4 or even qt5, not limp on with outdated base layers.

Funny you say that. I believe they tried with a pkg called qtinterface.
Don't quote me, but the gist of it was that qt4 has performance issues in
many areas.

It's all POV... I wouldn't call kde4 the panacea of DEs either... so in a
sense I agree with you in that it doesn't stop a group of ppl from making a
long set of bad decisions....