[Mageia-dev] Default browser in LXDE

Sander Lepik sander.lepik at eesti.ee
Sun Mar 11 12:55:09 CET 2012

11.03.2012 12:33, Oliver Burger kirjutas:
> Hi there,
>
> as in the other DEs the default browser in LXDE is Firefox.
> On the one hand one might have the opinion, that having the same apps
> on all the DEs is a good choice, but actually LXDE is a Lightweight DE
> and Firefox may be many things but not lightweight. Quite to the
> contrary, it is a resource hungry monster.
Actually not that bad after 7th or 8th release.
> I would suggest now, to replace ff in task-lxde by midori, which is
> far lighter then ff and in my tests I didn't find any missing
> features.
How is Midori doing with flash nowdays? Last time i checked it had problems.
>   The next best solution would be chromium, which is a lot
> heavier then midori but doesn't lack any features and is still lighter
> then ff.
Our chromium tends to lag with updates on stable (and after fx10 ESR it also needs more work
than fx as there are no ESR releases for chromium). And when comparing memory footprint it
ain't any better than fx.

--
Sander