[Mageia-dev] Mageia support for GMA 3600 (Cedar Trail Atom)

tux99-mga at uridium.org tux99-mga at uridium.org
Sun Mar 11 21:22:32 CET 2012

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 tux99-mga at uridium.org wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Mar 2012, Thomas Backlund wrote:
>
> > tux99-mga at uridium.org skrev 8.3.2012 02:18:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I just tried Mageia 2 beta 1 on a Intel DN2800MT board hoping that it
> > > would have framebuffer support for the GMA 3600, but the attached
> > > monitor goes into standby (no signal) as soon as the frame buffer gets
> > > activated during boot.
> > >
> > > As far as I understand there is frame buffer support in the 3.3 kernel
> > > for the GMA 3600 so in theory it should work.
> > >
> > > Are you aware of this issue or should I do a bug report?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > There is a bug with Cedar Trail that got fixed upstream a few days after
> > 3.3-rc6 was released, so the fix is not in our current
> > kernel-3.3.0-0.rc6.1.mga2, but it will be fixed in the next build.
>
> Thanks, that's great, I will test the next build and then report back
> how that works with my Cedar Trail board.

Hi, I noticed a new kernel packages showed up in the cauldron repo
(3.3rc7) so I tried it immediately (reinstalled cauldron from scratch as
I had overwritten the previous install with other distro tests) using
the boot.iso image, but the video behaviour at boot is still the same,
the monitor still goes into no-signal standby as soon as the drm stuff
is started.

I have full access to the box via ssh so I have uploaded some logs that
might help figure this out, it looks to like the kernel modules load
fine but somehow they set a screen mode that the monitor doesn't like.

Basically I don't really know how the drm kernel modules and xorg
interact (and I can't find any useful recent docs about it), who is
responsible for setting the screen mode and where can I manually
configure it, on the kernel line or xorg.conf?
(I have been spoiled by the binary nvidia drivers for too long :) )

dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/SLBcgjXx

lsmod output:
# lsmod|grep gma
gma500_gfx            149940  0
drm_kms_helper         32743  1 gma500_gfx
drm                   207700  2 gma500_gfx,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit           13080  1 gma500_gfx
i2c_core               29836  5
i2c_i801,gma500_gfx,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
video                  18640  1 gma500_gfx

/var/log/Xorg.0.log:
http://pastebin.com/ypw0DAnz

I'm unsure if this is only a config problem or if this is still due
to some bug.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.