[Mageia-dev] Freeze Push Question: pulseaudio

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Mar 11 23:32:45 CET 2012

Hi,

We're aiming to get a PA 2.0 release out very soon (within the next 4
weeks).

I wasn't originally intending to request this release in mga2 purely
because I wasn't aware that we were getting kernel 3.3 until recently
(my bad).

As you'll have seen from my reply to Thomas' announce about the kernel,
and as we've now merged the relevant patches in upstream PA to make use
of the new interfaces in kernel 3.3, I'd be very keen to push that we
include PA 2.0 in mga2.

The primary reason for this is jack detection. This has been a big
feature that has been missing and it's taken a long time and a lot of
cooperation to get the necessary features merged and available in the
various layers.

There is still work to do but the key parts will be working. We have
bugs reported against mga1 regarding this topic.

I'm confident that the changes in PA 2.0 are not risky and as upstream
I'm in a good position to push updates and fixes later anyway if needed.

Also being involved in an important part of linux plumbing and including
the fruits of that labour in mga2 is good from a PR perspective (I have
seen several comments long the lines of "it's good to see Mageia folks
involved in plumbing" on e.g. lwn.net and similar).

Anyway, this is my justification. I have packages ready to roll.

Can this go it? I think it's worth it.