[Mageia-dev] [Freeze] please let in xonotic

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Mon Mar 12 08:29:06 CET 2012

Op maandag 12 maart 2012 07:53:38 schreef David W. Hodgins:
[...]
> My understanding was that Magea 1 supported updating from Mandriva
> 2010.2 + Contrib + PLF-Free.
>
> There were several updates submitted to qa a few days ago, that are
> only available in backports in Mdv 2010.2.
[...]

IMHO backports could be "supported" under Mageia backports, not in regular
media.

Keeping in mind our limited resources, nonetheless, several of these bugs
which seemed to require workaround upon workaround, should get fixed sooner
rather than later, because it seems to be getting more complicated or more
discussed (and in generally too much resources being spent on it)

i'm thinking of:
 - backports
 - noarch linking
 - bug 2317
 - livemedia
 - or in general what we promise ( or rather to be careful what and how we
promise):

if we say: "there are no livemedia yet, but we're working on it to get it in
the next few weeks" ... some people become angry, but you can also say:
"There's a major bug preventing us from making livemedia, but we're working on
them" and possibly even updating it when it becomes clear it'll be for the
next release into "This beta release doesn't have any livemedia, we're hoping
to have the next beta release containing livemedia"

Similar with backports: it's been promised this time without timelimit, but
people seem to be convinced it'll never make it. 3rd party repositories
popping up etc... It does not make us look good. and I'm getting to the point
where the resources spent on discussing backports seem to be larger than the
eventual losses in resources that would have been due to backports being open.
But now of all times, backports shouldn't open, rather in the first week after
release of mga2 would be a nice timing.

to get back on topic: perhaps it's not unreasonable to allow a timelimit
exception, like for instance 3 or 4 days where "i forgot it was freeze or
didn't make it in time AND it's not likely to mess everything up" kind of
reason...

But i think the point is now becoming moot if temporary freeze of Beta2 is in
effect... (not sure if it is, but i think i saw something regarding it)

(about communication: maybe it's more prudent to have a messagebox above
http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/ telling us about various freezes and upcoming
soon freezes, even though as a packager it's my task to read meeting logs and
keeping myself up2date)