[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release task-gnome-3.3.2-8.mga2

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 18:53:23 CET 2012

On 12 March 2012 18:40, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
>> > - ensure gnome-utils is installed (mga#4903)
>>
>> 1) This is not what you've done.
>> What you've done is suggesting many GNOME packages that don't came
>> from gnome-utils
>> but come from their own SRPMS.
>
> gnome-utils was split up into various tarballs:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeUtils
>
> task-gnome contained only a "Obsoletes: gnome-utils". I replaced it with
> suggests for the splitted packages to ensure that gnome-screenshot (the
> bug) as well as the other replacements would be installed.
>
> Or do you mean that above webpage is wrong? Could be, didn't really
> check that thoroughly what packages replaced gnome-utils.

I means your log messages isn't what you've done.
You'ven't add any require or suggest on gnome-utils but on a number of
new gnome packages.
Your log messages should describe that.
 not tha

>> 2) Also as those are suggests, they'll never end on the install DVD,
>> thus defeating
>> " ensure gnome-utils is installed"
>
> I have asked many times about task-gnome and task-gnome-minimal and
> everyone has their own definition. I've asked various times if the
> "GNOME" option in the installer could please reflect "GNOME", and not
> some weird cut-down version of it called "task-gnome-minimal", but
> haven't gotten very far with that.

I'm not speaking about task-gnome*, I'm writing about the fact you're
using suggests tags and thus that those packages will never land
on the install DVDs.

> I don't want to step on toes and just ignore the "task-gnome-minimal" vs
> "task-gnome", etc (I still don't get why we have -minimal; I also don't
> see why we have task-gnome though.. seems that not even Nautilus would
> be installed), so I added Suggests instead.

Again offtopic.

> I don't really see any difference between either having the
> gnome-screenshot as a Suggests in task-gnome (which the installer
> doesn't install, it looks at task-gnome-minimal) or as Suggests in
> task-gnome-minimal (which won't end up on the DVD apparently).
> If task-gnome-minimal is "not to be touched" and task-gnome is not
> installed by the installer.. what am I to do to fix bugs? Suggests seems
> like the only option. Furthermore, I've also added a gnome-screenshot
> Suggests to gnome-shell.

Again this is offtopic, a suggests will just not be present on install DVDs
What'more, the logical place is task-gnome*, not gnome-shell.
gnome-shell doesn't need this package, it works without.
If the GNOME desktop needs it in order to work, then it should be required
by task-gnome, not by another gnome-shell.

> IMO mga#4903 was an avoidable bug. As bugs are discovered on resulting
> dependency problems, I want to fix every case. To me it seems the wrong
> way to deal with this, but I rather raise "-minimal" strangeness after
> Mageia 2 release so I can point at the resulting bugs.

Again my initial message is about that the suggested packages won't ever
land on the install DVDs again.
And we should stop bloating the net install with suggests at all the
stages of the stack.
I have to break many suggests (or requires for what matters) cycles that
resulted in us having a minimal install of 800Mb with X11.

Obviously gnome-shell doesn't need this package in order to run, so
it should not be suggested by gnome-shell.
If we want a better GNOME experience, it should be done in task-gnome.
If some people objects bloating task-gnome*, disscuss with them
instead of hidding those suggests lower in the statck...