[Mageia-dev] Fatal errors with rpm

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 14 18:19:58 CET 2012

2012/3/14 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:

>>> Now I did some more package management:
>>>  - I opened a konsole window, did another check with 'urpmi
>>> --auto-update' which turned up no updates. After that rpm database was
>>> unlocked. Good.
>>>  - I opened rpmdrake from the konsole and marked all KDE handbooks for
>>> uninstall. I clicked on OK and watched the output in the konsole
>>> window.
>>>  - after the second handbook urpmi crashed with a segmentation fault
>>> and rpmdrake showed a message box with the same error (segfault).
>>>
>>> Then I rebooted the system and starting rpmdrake on the konsole returned:
>>> * getting lock on urpmi
>>> * [reading all synthesis files, ok]
>>> * Error: rpmdb: Thread/process 2794/1397..... failed: Thread died in
>>> Berkeley DB library
>>> * Error: db4 error from dbenv->failchk: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error,
>>> run database recovery
>>> * Error: Unable to open packages index, using db4
>>> * Error: Unable to open package database in /var/lib/rpm
>>> * unlocking urpmi database
>>>
>>> Mind that this happened with latest updates as written in my previous mail.
>>
>> Adding info: erasing and rebuilding the db does not work. After
>> removing the _db* I run # rpm --rebuilddb which returns
>> :
>> * Error: rpmdb: Thread/process 2794/1397..... failed: Thread died in
>> Berkeley DB library
>> * Error: db4 error from dbenv->failchk: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error,
>> run database recovery
>> * Error: Unable to open packages index, using db4
>>
>> Result: system is unusable now.
>
> Solution: I had to manually erase the lock file /var/lib/rpm/.RPMLOCK
> After that rebuilding the database worked and urpmi is usable again.

Ok, here we go again:
I did the same as described earlier:
Updates, then opening rpmdrake and marking all handbook packages for
uninstall. After uninstalling one or two packages rpmdrake segfaults.
Opening it again shows the known errors about the rpm database.

Unfortunately rpmdrake gives no other error message than "Segmentation
fault" - that's it. So I don't know whether the error messages about
the rpm database are just a result of the segfault or the cause of the
segfault.

--
wobo