[Mageia-dev] installing minimal is not really that minimal

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Thu Mar 22 13:20:26 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:45:44AM +0100, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> I've made quite some changes for mga2 in order to bring minimal
> install under control.
> But that can't work in the long term.

Let's ignore all the other stuff and focus on how to solve it.

I'm willing to assist when there are too big dependency chains. But, I
don't get why in a minimal install it installs "Suggests:"? I can
understand that it takes space on the DVD. But in a minimal install it
should ignore the Suggests, no?

I think we should have something which tracks these things
automatically.

Meaning:
- a way to see the dependency chains over time
  (e.g. something which logs it per day)
- a way to see the size of various "targets" over time
  (e.g. KDE, GNOME, XFCE, minimal)
- an email when the size changes compared to previous day
  (e.g. new dependency, or maybe 100MB of documentation in some package)

--
Regards,
Olav