[Mageia-dev] installing minimal is not really that minimal

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Fri Mar 23 17:00:57 CET 2012

Op vrijdag 23 maart 2012 10:42:40 schreef Thierry Vignaud:
> On 23 March 2012 08:32, Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be> wrote:
> > Op vrijdag 23 maart 2012 02:08:26 schreef Maarten Vanraes:
> >> Op donderdag 22 maart 2012 00:30:53 schreef Maarten Vanraes:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> in a chroot, i did a test with requiring plymouth or suggesting it (from
> >> dracut)
> >>
> >> the difference is:
> >>
> >> with plymouth: 301 packages/335MB
> >> without plymouth: 294 packages/294MB
> >>
> >> i'm gonna try a minimal install and see how much this'll differ
> >
> > ok, i was a bit wrong:
> >
> > i have a local dracut version overridden with urpmi-proxy so as not to
> > required but suggest plymouth
> >

> > testing with which packages would become requested with rpmsrate...
> >
> > in a chroot, this becomes: 246 packages/299MB
> > but, with suggests, this becomes 337 packages/385MB
> >
> > however, in an install i have 371 packages
> >
> > but the / contains 731MB
> >
> > so, where do all these extra packages come from?
> >
> > these are the different packages between installing with suggests, or
> > chrooted rpmsrate expansion with suggests...
> >
> > acpi
> > acpid
> > bc
> > coreutils-doc
> > cpufreq
> > dhcp-client
> > dhcp-common
> > dmraid
> > dmraid-events
> > gpg-pubkey
> > hdparm
> > hexedit
> > ipset
> > iptables
> > kpartx
> > lib64dmraid1
> > lib64ip4tc0
> > lib64ip6tc0
> > lib64iptables7
> > lib64mnl0
> > lib64nfnetlink0
> > locales-en
> > lsof
> > mageia-gfxboot-theme
> > mandi
> > mandi-ifw
> > microcode
> > microcode_ctl
> > procmail
> > shorewall
> > strace
> > sudo
> > tree
> >
> > for one, mageia-gfxboot-theme is here again... it didn't get selected in
> > chrooted install from manually checked rpmsrate settings... where does
> > this come from?
> >
> > is there a part in the installer that hardcodes certain packages? clearly
> > according to the ddebug.log file, this mageia-gfxboot-theme gets selected
> > during the choosePackages step and not later on...
> >
> > what am i missing here?
> >
> > does anyone have an idea? i'd like to get to the bottom of this, so a
> > pointer in a direction would help me alot...
>
> acpi* mageia-gfxboot-them are pulled by the installer
> mandi* shorewall (& thus iptables*) too.
> [...]

thanks for the explanations, i really appreciate this, it seems logical,
somehow, except maybe what i'm coming back to:

mageia-gfxboot-theme is pulled by installer? how does that work?

is this really required? or is this something that's somehow done in the
graphic installer?

i mean, i didn't select graphic grub, i chose text-grub specifically. and
somehow during the choosePackages step, the mageia-gfxboot-theme is
automatically selected...

this is the packages that's adding via extra dep and suggests, most of the
stuff...

where can i find the code that is responsible for this, so i can try and fix it?

about firewall, perhaps it's possible to just include iptables, but set policy
on DROP incoming? shorewall seems a bit over the top...

but, if summary isn't completed, you can't boot into it, wrt bootloader? so
firewall seems useless for that...? what is the rationale behind this?