[Mageia-dev] Shutdown button by default in Mageia 2 Gnome request

Sebastian sebsebseb sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Wed Mar 28 21:07:14 CEST 2012

Hi

Gnome 3.4 was released today :), and the Mageia 2 release candidate is
meant to be on the 10th April.  However I have a little request that I
hope will be taken seriously. That is for the shut down button to show
by default in Gnome 3.4 in Mageia 2.

As far as I know it isn't at the moment, I haven't tried Gnome Shell in
Cauldron just yet, since when I tried to before with Alpha 1 and 2
issues with XFdrake and trying to get my proprietary Nivida driver
installed.

Anyway going back on topic I strongly believe that Mageia 2's Gnome
Shell should be showing the shut down button by default, even though
like Olav and I assume Bkor as well, I would like Mageia's Gnome to stay
rather close to upstream by default at the moment.

However it won't be using the default theme by default, in fact it will
be using a port of the KDE theme, and so I don't think having the shut
down button by default will be a problem as such.

Quite a lot of people still want to shut down their computer instead of
suspend or leaving it on most/all of the time, and I am one of them.
There was also a 60+ year old at my LUG, that I went to for a first time
last Saturday, who was using Fedora on a lap top, who wanted to use the
shut down button.  He told me how when he was new to Fedora it took him
quite a long time to find out how to shut down.

There was quite a lot of stuff before on the web about how it wasn't
good to have to press tab for the shut down button to show in the menu.
Personally I don't mind doing that as such, but I know that many other
people will.

Apparently Debian have the shut down button showing in Gnome Shell.  Not
sure about OpenSuse, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do as well.  As
for Fedora they stay very close to upstream with Gnome, so of course
it's not there by default. Fedora is also aimed at in general slightly
more technical users  than what Ubuntu is aimed at for example or in my
opinion anyway. As for Mageia we should have the distro aimed at
everyone, from brand new users to Desktop Linux, to
opensource/freesoftware experts, as a result the shut down button should
indeed be showing by default in the menu.

Apparently the extensions need re creating for Gnome 3.4 or something,
well ok, but well please let's have the shut down button showing in the
menu by default in Mageia 2.

I can imagine a lot of new users being given Mageia on a Live CD to try
out, and trying out the Gnome version, then coming back to the person
saying something like,  "yeah Mageia Gnome was good, but I had
absolutely no idea how to shut it down when I tried it".  I also think
it would be a bit bad to say to these users something like "With the
Gnome Shell interface in Mageia 2 the developers of it decided to remove
the shut down button by default, so if you want to shut down you have to
press tab, to get it to show".

 From Sebastian sebsebseb