[Mageia-dev] Removal of sun java

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 10:10:34 CEST 2012

On 30 March 2012 10:06, Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We can do like RH&  Ubuntu, provides an empty package that explain sun
>> doesn't enable us anymore to distribute it and that they've to install (&  update)
>> it manually from sun.com
>
> Why should we manage this case differently from other similar situations ?
> That's not the first time we remove something from the distribution, because
> it is not supported anymore usually, and has known available
> vulnerabilities.

Actually, _YOU_ want us to "manage this case differently from other similar
situations".
In case you didn't see, other packages are obsoleted by task-obsolete (if
no better package)

In this case, we even have strong decisions to do so:
1) users don't report bugs in our bugzilla
2) users get aware it's no longer supported by us
3) users get aware they won't get any security update anymore
4) users get aware they have to look at sun.com for updates
5) ...

So please don't invent special exceptions to our policies for
your own comfort.