[Mageia-dev] [RFC] How to proceed with seamonkey/iceape for security updates and freeze push

Dan Fandrich dan at coneharvesters.com
Thu Mar 29 12:59:54 CEST 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:13:02PM +0200, nicolas vigier wrote:
> It seems that if we don't have major changes, there should be no problem
> to have permission. So I think someone should ask for permission for
> firefox and thunderbird. Does anyone know where it should be asked ?

The page at http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html
describes the policy. The policy covers the case of compiling from pristine
sources:

    If you compile Mozilla unmodified source code (including code and
    config files in the installer) and do not charge for it, you do not
    need additional permission from Mozilla to use the relevant Mozilla
    Mark(s) for your compiled version.

and the case of highly modified source:

    If you're...making significant functional changes, you may not
    redistribute the fruits of your labor under any Mozilla trademark,
    without Mozilla's prior written consent.

and in a final section, also the case of making minor changes:

    Again, any modification to the Mozilla product...will require our
    permission if you want to use the Mozilla Marks.

So, if we're applying any patches at all, we'll need to ask permission.

>>> Dan