[Mageia-dev] Creating PDFs from a scanned document

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 12:05:41 CEST 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:59, Robert Fox <list at foxconsult.net> wrote:

> Just a quick question to the experts out there . . .

This would probably be better on -discuss than -dev

> I have an HP J5780 All-in-One device - and use the HP Device Manager
> software under Mageia -  When I scan a document into a PDF, the
> converted document is rather large (5MB) in comparison to the same
> document scanned under Windows 7 and the HP scan-to-PDF feature (465Kb)
> -  Just wanted to know why is this and can I influence how compressed or
> compact the PDF document is under Cauldron?

Do you scan at the same resolution?
The best compression would be to use OCR to get text instead of images but
I wouldn't trust it to be accurate

I used to scan with "Acquire Images" or XSane and then paste the scanned
> graphic into a LibreOffice document and then create a PDF directly or
> use ps2pdf14 to convert a "print to file" postscript output to PDF
> (which results in a comparatively small PDF)

Why not generating a PDF directly from XSane?