[Mageia-dev] Proposal: add script to desktop-common-data to find text editor

David Walser luigiwalser at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 05:56:50 CEST 2012

In the Mageia default IceWM configuration, we have button launchers for a terminal emulator, text editor, and web browser.

For the terminal emulator, it uses the xvt script from desktop-common-data to find an appropriate xterm or rxvt-like thing.

For the web browser, it uses the www-browser script from desktop-common-data to use your default web browser from your desktop settings.

For the text editor, it has emacs hard-coded.  This doesn't actually work if the "emacs" package isn't installed.

dams tried to fix this by changing it to something that also didn't work, and I complained, so he reverted that change.  Now he has the icewm package suggest "emacs" so that it will work, so at least it works now.

However, even being an emacs guy, I'm not thrilled about that solution either, because I don't actually install "emacs" or want it, I only install and use "emacs-nox" and I don't want to have to keep uninstalling the suggest-pulled-in emacs package after every upgrade now.

I don't want to just complain without providing an alternative, so my idea was to write another script, which should go in desktop-common-data, called xte (a.k.a. X Text Editor, just like xvt, a.k.a. X Virtual Terminal), which will choose an appropriate text editor to run from several choices.

I don't know the exact procedure to commit something to the desktop-common-data package (in /soft in SVN), so I'm attaching the script here.