[Mageia-dev] Are you sure? (no confirmation before proceeding to selected packages installation)

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri May 4 17:59:49 CEST 2012

2012/5/4 Dimitrios Glentadakis <dglent at gmail.com>:

> Le 4 mai 2012 17:19, "Wolfgang Bornath" <molch.b at googlemail.com> a écrit :

>> > Another case is when you install in the existing partitions and in the
>> > partitioning screen you choose the partitions, /, /home, etc, and you
>> > have
>> > checked in the checkbox a partition to be formatted.
>> >
>> > It seems very logical to me that in this step a confirmation is more
>> > than
>> > usefull.
>> > Before a 2-3 years there was a brainstorm in mandriva and i had proposed
>> > the
>> > usage of confirmation dialogues. I cannot find the link now, but the
>> > answers
>> > that i got was like 'you click on OK so you have to be sure', 'no
>> > needed,
>> > useless feature' etc.
>> >
>> > If there will be a brainstorm in mageia, i would like to try to propose
>> > it
>> > again.
>>
>> Do you think you will get a different result? Look at Microsoft.
>> People were so annoyed by all these "Are you sure" popups that
>> comedians started to refer to these popups in their standup sessions
>> ("Do you really want to use the brake pedal?"). AFAIR there hasn't
>> been such a popup at the situations you pointed to as long as
>> Mandrake/Mandriva existed. I haven't heard anybody complaining about
>> this (until today).
>> About the selection screens:
>>
>> For me the first selection screen (KDE - Gnome - Custom) serves the
>> new user who wants to get on with the installation without any
>> interactive stuff he would not know how to handle it. So the screen
>> presents 2 options which will get him a standard system with one
>> click. Everybody else is surely able to understand the word "Custom"
>> which opens the door to everything else. The next screen offers a
>> package selection which allows for installation of whole groups (or
>> non-installation). This same screen opens the door to the minimal
>> installation options (if you deselect all package groups). It also
>> shows the option "Individual package selection".
>>
>> To me this is a logical procedure (one step following the selection of
>> the previous step).
>>
>> Of course Mageia could put something like "Clicking OK will start the
>> installation" below the KDE and Gnome options or something similar.
>>
>> About the partitioning:
>>
>> What exactly do you miss there (you have seen the "expert" button?) ?
>>
>> IMHO there is nothing missing or at presented at the wrong state of
>> the installation procedure.
>>
>> --
>> wobo
>
> In the specific case i mentionned, there is a risc of loosing data, so i
> think that it is usefull to prevent. Why you are informed when you switch to
> expert mode in diskdrake?

Because the "Expert" button is there to tell users that if they will
press this button they should know what they are doing.

> Twice i avoided to delete the /home partition. To prevent other users, in
> the greek translation i add the 'formatting (delete data)'

At which occasion? In normal mode after leaving the partitioning
screen you will get a list of partitions which will be formatted. If
you set the mount point for /home on your "old" home partition the
checkbox beside this partition will be not marked by default. So,
first a new user does not have an old /home partition, second: if he
has then he should not override the default (or click on "Back" to
make sure he does not do something stupid). Yes, there is a "Back"
button on the formatting screen. Besides, clicking on "Next" in the
partitioning screen shows a popup where you can cancel the operation.

So this step (partitioning and formatting) is secured by the double.
Given the fact that even the newest user should be aware that this is
an important step I think a normal computer user will pay attention to
what he is doing there.

I don't think that I understand what you mean exactly.

--
wobo