[Mageia-dev] Mageia 2 DVD 64bits install is broken

John john at neodoc.biz
Sun May 27 05:51:58 CEST 2012

On Sun, 27 May 2012 04:18:19 +0100
Simple . wrote:

> 2012/5/27 Simple . <simplew8 at gmail.com>:
> > 2012/5/27 John <john at neodoc.biz>:

> >> _You_ used a Windows application to write the image to the USB key.
> >
> >  If instead calling _You_ you had first went to
> > https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installation_Media  *you* had easily see
> > that Rufus is a recommended tool to burn Linux .iso's.

Yes, it is a suggested tool for Windows users, it still requires the user
to understand how tyhe tool needs to be used - correct?

> >> If _you_ had used the application correctly, you would have written
> >> the iso image to the device.
> >
> > Now theres a correct way to use Rufus?

Of course there is, go to the website!

> >> The applcation _you_ used to write the content of the iso to the
> >> devive truncated the long filenames.
> >
> > I simply followed what was written in Mageia wiki regarding burning a
> > ISO to a USB pen disk.
> >

> > Also i didnt had any linux OS to be able to burn it for example with
> > dd.
>
> But i forgot to say that for Mageia 2 official release there is a
> problem with the .iso, using dd to save it to a USB pen disk doesnt
> set it as a bootable device, and this is a new bug to be reported.

This is NOT a new bug!

One again, your methods are the problem.

Countless other users have managed to write .iso images to USB sticks and
install from them.

Well in excess of two months of testing of USB installs preceeded the
release.

I say again, look to your methods

JohnR