[Mageia-dev] Suggestion of roadmap for kde on mageia once cauldron is reopened

Franklin Weng franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw
Sun May 27 10:33:07 CEST 2012

2012/5/27 Balcaen John <mikala at mageia.org>:
> Le samedi 26 mai 2012 17:26:54 Maurice Batey a écrit :
>> On Sat, 26 May 2012 08:31:29 -0400, John Balcaen wrote:
>> > our mageia 1 is providing the "legacy" kmail aka 4.11.x
>> > with KDE SC 4.6.x
>>
>> KMail 4.11.x ??!!   I don't understand that numbering.
> Sorry i mean kmail 4.4.11. & not kmail 4.11
>
>> Not available with Mageia-2?
> It is not because kdepimlibs is not compatible anymore with kdepim 4.4.x.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Balcaen John

Well, we all know that kmail (and perhaps some other kdepim softwares)
are tragedies for now.  I'm not using KMail anymore and use gmail
instead.  Now my question is that, will the KDE update policy in
backports be still the same as before?

I remember that when discussing if Mageia 1 would have KDE 4.7 in
backports, the answer was no because that kdepim was too unstable.
And my Mageia 1 box was stuck in KDE 4.6 even KDE now is advanced to
KDE 4.8.x.  Nevertheless, I'd still like to say, to be honest it would
not be a problem for daily users who would like to upgrade their KDE
to new versions, since they should all know kdepim's status.

For Mageia 2, again I'd like to ask, if we will have KDE 4.9 in
backports after it releases in August?

(Yes, I know that I can upgrade my KDE using cauldron.  But no, I
don't consider to upgrade my box with cauldron... it is far too
unstable than any version of kdepim.)

Thanks,
Franklin