[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release task-obsolete-3-1.mga3

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue May 29 17:54:01 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Jani Välimaa at 29/05/12 16:13 did gyre and gimble:
> On 29.05.2012 17:38, Sander Lepik wrote:
>> 29.05.2012 17:14, wally kirjutas:
>>> Name        : task-obsolete                Relocations: (not relocatable)
>>> Version     : 3                                 Vendor: Mageia.Org
>>> Release     : 1.mga3                        Build Date: Tue May 29
>>> 15:59:18 2012
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> wally <wally> 3-1.mga3:
>>> + Revision: 249259
>>> - obsolete old libxfce4menu pkgs
>> Hmm, since when do we obsolete libs like this?
>>

> Since task-obsolete was introduced. It's a way to get rid of old,
> obsoleted and unused pkgs which are also removed from SVN (moved to
> /packages/obsolete/).

I wasn't aware we ever did this and I can't think of a good reason to do
so either so I would prefer this change was reverted (and any other old
libs in there similarly removed from obsoletion).

There is a difference between no longer shipping something and no longer
supporting it being installed. If I've compiled my own software against
any given library I do not want something to remove it automatically and
break my build. That's the whole point in having library packaging the
way we do - to allow them to live on mostly forever on an installed
system. If we no longer support something being installed then using
task-obsoletes seems wise.

Users are then responsible for removing old library packages they no
longer want from their system using either the urpme --auto-orphans or
urpmq --not-available.

Maybe I've misunderstood the intention here, and if so feel free to
correct me!