[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release task-obsolete-3-1.mga3

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Tue May 29 19:48:55 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM, D.Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Jani Välimaa <jani.valimaa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 29.05.2012 18:54, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Jani Välimaa at 29/05/12 16:13 did gyre and gimble:

>>> I wasn't aware we ever did this and I can't think of a good reason to do
>>> so either so I would prefer this change was reverted (and any other old
>>> libs in there similarly removed from obsoletion).
>>>
>>> There is a difference between no longer shipping something and no longer
>>> supporting it being installed. If I've compiled my own software against
>>> any given library I do not want something to remove it automatically and
>>> break my build. That's the whole point in having library packaging the
>>> way we do - to allow them to live on mostly forever on an installed
>>> system. If we no longer support something being installed then using
>>> task-obsoletes seems wise.
>>
>> I guess we need another way to drop pkgs easily from our mirrors then.
>>

>>> Users are then responsible for removing old library packages they no
>>> longer want from their system using either the urpme --auto-orphans or
>>> urpmq --not-available.
>>>
>>> Maybe I've misunderstood the intention here, and if so feel free to
>>> correct me!
>>>

>> My primary motives was to drop pkgs from our repos, but in this case
>> there's no need to have libxfce4menu installed in any system as it was
>> abandoned upstream over 1.5 years ago and there's no pkgs needing it in
>> our repos (mga1, mga2 or mga3).
>>
>> Can't say anything about other cases, though.
>
> packages are automatically removed from the repo ( or by pterjan i
> don't recall ) so no need and we never obsolete libs.

They are supposed to be automatically removed after a few weeks but it
does not seem to work, so I still do it manually (and that allows
catching problems like forgotten obsoletes in some cases).
What should really be done is to send an email at upload time when
some subpackages remain from the old src.rpm and then we can remove
them automatically one or two weeks later. Ideally we would also
notify maintainers of packages requiring the old lib at the same time.