[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release xfprint-4.6.1-6.mga3

Jani Välimaa jani.valimaa at gmail.com
Wed May 30 05:58:50 CEST 2012

On 30.05.2012 00:27, Charles A Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 20:28:46 +0200 (CEST)
> wally <buildsystem-daemon at mageia.org> wrote:
>
>> Name        : xfprint                      Relocations: (not
>> relocatable) Version     : 4.6.1                             Vendor:
>> Mageia.Org Release     : 6.mga3                        Build Date:
>> Tue May 29 20:27:15 2012 Install Date: (not installed)
>> Build Host: ecosse.mageia.org Group       : Graphical
>> desktop/Xfce        Source RPM: (none) Size        :
>> 851402                           License: GPLv2+ Signature   : (none)
>> Packager    : wally <wally>
>

> This package, along with libxfcegui4 and mousepad, should be
> dropped.
>
> Both libxfcegui4 and xfprint are dead and buried, and no longer
> developed or supported upstream.

Libxfcegui4 is deprecated, but it's not entirely "dead and buried",
there's still some plugins which aren't ported to libxfce4ui and needs
libxfcegui4. Also, new version 4.10.0 was released about a month ago
when Xfce 4.10.0 came out.

> The only app that used the above pkgs was/is mousepad.
> But even it, in its current incarnation, is also dead.
> (It is being completely rewritten from scratch but no eta.)
>
> It is suggested that leafpad be used as editor instead.
>
> FWIW other distros; fedora, gentoo, arch etc, have already
> dropped them.

Yes, I noticed yesterday that xfprint+mousepad is abandoned upstream,
but didn't have time to search what other distros have done with them. I
was planning to do it today and then think what we should do.

So, I agree to drop xfprint and mousepad, but not libxfcegui4.