[Mageia-dev] [RFC] radeon firmware in non-free

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Wed May 30 13:25:07 CEST 2012

mercoledì 30 maggio 2012 alle 10:38, Thierry Vignaud ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> I think we must discuss the following point for next release:
> currently radeon firmwares are in non-free.
I'm in favour of having working installer either for newbies or
for those people that does not read release notes, errata etc.
OTOH, i think if we can reach a good installation result
w/o non free firmware or by letting the user to decide during
the installation (i mean no silent choice there) with additional
media, on the network or local (usb key, non free driver cds, etc),
it's ok as well.

I recall anyway, that even our livecd is not that easy to get working
in some cases we need to add xdriver=XXX parameter... right or
not that is, the newbie does not understand that.

Sure free is our choice, but from my experience i can say we have already
at least two users less, they put our dvd, installation failed,
they put (K)Ubuntu, installation went ok... should they have read,
or asked to me for that... but they didn't...
I believe they're not the only one.

Cheers,
	Angelo