[Mageia-dev] [RFC] radeon firmware in non-free

Agron Selimaj as9902613 at gmail.com
Thu May 31 05:58:13 CEST 2012

Hi,

I can see two objectives here.
First objective is to have a high installation success rate.
And second objective is to have happy users from both camps; the
GNU-purists-camp and the don't-care-camp.

I think the GNU-purists-camp is a minority here, but I could be wrong, I
never counted them. For them I would make a pure installation DVDs of all
editions, like Desktop, Server, Live, etc. I bet all purists are
expert Linux users and they know enough about their hardware and if there
are GNU drivers for it.

On the other hand, the don't-care-camp needs stuff that works. They don't
care where it comes from, and they never read the messages. They just click
through. For them I would make a mixed DVD with pre-selected components
that have higher success rate. For example, if we know that non-free radeon
drivers install better than the free ones, don't ask the user at all just
go ahead and install the non-free version.

This way, we are making the users choose early way before they start
installing.

I would also call those editions like this:

  1g)  Mageia 3 Server (G) Installation DVD i686 - Includes GNU drivers

  1v)  Mageia 3 Server (V) Installation DVD i686 - Includes Vendor drivers

We would also say "If you don't know which to choose, go for Vendor
editions"

I think providing free and non-free installation media will increase
Mageia's quality and reputation. But, everything must be in a single DVD
because there are laptops, servers, and desktops with Broadcom PHY's and
they can't get supplemental DVD's or packages without a working network
card or wifi.

Putting them all together in a single non-free DVD will increase the
installation success rate for sure.

And at last let me introduce my self.
My name is Agron Selimaj. I am an experienced Linux user and programmer. I
have 11 years of Linux experience and I am a Mandriva Powerpack user since
2006 or 2007. I am a professional C++ programmer for Windows, Linux
embedded and Linux Desktops at my day job.
I like the spirit of Mageia creators and I would like to join you. At the
moment, I am an apprentice candidate waiting for a mentor to guide me
through package creation process, bug fixing, etc.

//Agron