[Mageia-dev] cinelerra/audiokonverter/arista (war Re: rehashing the faac issue)

PhilippeDidier philippedidier at laposte.net
Thu Nov 1 13:46:54 CET 2012

Christiaan Welvaart a écrit :
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, PhilippeDidier wrote:
>
>> I don't know actually how to create *.aac files or *.mp4 files with
>> Mageia... if you help me I will be happy...
>
> ffmpeg -i foo.mp3 -strict -2 -codec:a aac -format adts foo.aac
>
> But AFAIK this uses the ffmpeg internal aac codec which isn't very good.
>   -codec:a libvo_aacenc      produces garbage, no idea why
>
> About arista: someone decided to use the internal ffmpeg lib from
> gstreamer-ffmpeg for gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg which broke arista. Now arista
> must be ported to gstreamer1.0 .
>

>     Christiaan

So ...
You can understand, now, if you need to create aac or mpa or mp4 files :
that faac works
that softwares built with it work too
that nothing inside Mageia work (libvo_aacenc is really bad quality when
it doesn't produce garbages)
that we have been waiting since Mageia exists for an hypthetic GPL
alternative to faac
that to satisfy exclusive gpl software policy in tainted repo we are stuck

What do you propose then ?

philippe