[Mageia-dev] cinelerra/audiokonverter/arista (war Re: rehashing the faac issue)

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Fri Nov 2 00:05:53 CET 2012

Christian Lohmaier <lohmaier+mageia at googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi Wolfgang, *,
>
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> After reading all arguments again I must confess that I changed my
>> opinion: Being consequent and following our road we need a
>> /tainted-free and a /tainted-nonfree branch.
>
> I still think this would be a very user-*un*friendly way to handle it.
>
> You cannot put packages that itself is "free", but depends on
> "tainted&nonfree" packages into the "free" repo, since the core repos
> need to be self-contained.
[...]
> Much better would then be to create an "ugly" repo (in the spirit of
> gstreamer) that contains the "doesn't fit into the other repos" stuff.

That's just a naming issue then, are you just suggesting to rename the
"tainted-nonfree" repository proposal as "ugly"?
This crossed my mind too, but the name is less understandable by users
not necessarily familiar with the gstreamer naming.

If we go for the "tainted + nonfree" way, its definition should be that
it contains packages that:
(1) are both tainted and not free software
or
(2) packages having a hard requirement on packages from (1)

--
Olivier Blin - blino