[Mageia-dev] Jack1 package missing

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sat Nov 3 20:29:28 CET 2012

Jehan Pagès a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM, PhilippeDidier
> <philippedidier at laposte.net <mailto:philippedidier at laposte.net>> wrote:
>
>     Jehan Pagès a écrit :
>      > Hi,
>      >
>      > I noticed we propose only the Jack2 package, but no Jack1. Yet
>     Jack2 is
>      > simply another implementation in C++ of the Jack protocol, and not a
>      > newer version (as the official website also states clearly:
>      > http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/Q_differenc_jack1_jack2 ).
>      >
>      > Plus I had a very annoying bug with Ardour when using Jack2, and
>     people
>      > on Ardour mailing list told me it was a known issue with Jack2 (both
>      > Ardour and Jack2 were installed from the Mageia 2 packages). I
>     compiled
>      > Jack1, and it indeed fixed the issue.
>      >
>      > So I am thinking on proposing a spec for Jack1.
>      >
>      > But then I have questions:
>      >
>      > 1/ How should I name this package? The jack2 package is named
>     "jackit"
>      > and I have no idea where you got that from (I guess this is a shorter
>      > name for "Jack Audio Connection Kit", but should we really change
>      > package names this way?
>      > It is not that long). The official alternative
>      > name of Jack2 is "jackdmp" (see README here:
>      > https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2 ). I saw nowhere else this
>     "jackit"
>      > naming.
>      >
>     We inherit this from Mandrake : in the early years of Mandrake a jack
>     package already existed but it had nothing to do with JACK (Jack Audio
>     Connexion Kit) : it was a console frontend for cd rippers, still
>     provided in Mageia...
>
>     When JACK was imported into Mandrake it had to be given an other name...
>     so jackit !!!
>     There was a tonic controversy on Mandrake forum about this in 2003 or
>     2004 year.
>     Mandrake and then Mandriva and and then Mageia are the only
>     distributions calling JACK package "jackit" ....
>      > So I am questioning the naming of this existing package, and
>     would like
>      > to propose some rename along with a new name for a Jack1 package.
>      > Maybe simply "jack1" and "jack2"? Or "jack" and "jackdmp"?
>      >
>      > 2/ How should the virtual dependency be named?
>      > The existing "jackit" spec provides a "jackit-devel" and a
>     "libjack-devel".
>      >
>      > I think that none of the names are really fit IMO. First jackit
>     for the
>      > same reason as before (I don't see where this name comes from), also
>      > libjack (and the -devel suffix) because this kit is not *only* a
> [...]

why not give jack1 the name :
  "jack1 - the Jack Audio Connection Kit 1"
and modify the description to include :
  "This is the original C implementation of the Jack Audio Connection
Kit protocol (JACK).  It is under active development concurrently with
jackit (JACK2)"

It might also be a good idea to modify the jackit description to
indicate that it is concurrent to jack1 as well.
And maybe rename it to jack2, if it is not too complicated ?

We could always use provides to accommodate packages requiring JACK.

Just some suggestions ...

--
André