[Mageia-dev] about ruby updates and some broken dependancies

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Mon Nov 5 01:47:09 CET 2012

On Sunday 04 November 2012 16:52, PhilippeDidier wrote:
> There's a little problem with ruby updates in Cauldron : as shikamaru is
> always the official maintainer

What's happenig with Shikamarus packages? Isn't (s)he gone so long that they are unmaintained and should be marked as such?
==
$ mgarepo maintdb get |grep shikamaru|wc -l
278
==

> in cauldron repository we have coexisting ruby-*-doc packages

Just before I qualified as packager (in may I think) and got submit access, I was helping Shlomi upgrade the packages belonging to shikamaru. Abong them was many ruby packages.
After upgrading several ruby packages, we started having differences in build success on the packages. I.e. They buildt on my cauldron but not in Shlomif's system. It turned out that if one specific ruby package was installed, ALL ruby packages failed to build, because the documentation did not build and some of the items in %files was missing.
(I hope Shlomi still remember which ruby package needs to be listed as BuildConflict. Maybe it's listed in some of the ruby packages he made after discovering this.)

Untill we figured out something was wrong, I upgraded and checked in several packages, between 10 and 20 packages, where the documentation package was Removed from the spec, because bm/rpmbuild complained on missing files and I thought it was removed in the new version. But when Shlomi build it, he added the missing files, and I don't know if he readded the doc packages or just added the installed-but-not-packages files in the %files section.

When we figured out that it was due to the BuildConflict, we decided that he should do the ruby packges himself.

I saved the part of the spec that was removed when we found this out, and I have pasted it below in case some are still removed and fails to build.
You should look for these part in the ruby specs. If they are missing, they should be added.

=== Removed ruby docs ===
rm -rf %{buildroot}%{ruby_gemdir}/gems/%{oname}-%{version}/.yardoc

%doc %{ruby_gemdir}/doc/%{oname}-%{version}

%package        doc
Group:      Development/Ruby
Requires:   %{name} = %{version}-%{release}

%description    doc
Documents, Rdoc & RI documentation for %{name}.

%files          doc
%doc %{ruby_gemdir}/doc/%{oname}-%{version}
======

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324