[Mageia-dev] Fwd: fallback mode

JA Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Tue Nov 6 01:05:04 CET 2012

On 11/06/2012 12:01 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 11:39:41PM +0100, Olivier Blin wrote:
>> Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> writes:

>>> Sure it is not using llvmpipe accidentally? What kind of driver does
>>> that Q35 use? I have an intel chipset in my old laptop, no clue what,
>>> but it is really smooth.
>>
>> Q35 has an Intel GMA3100 chipset, it is using i915.
>> I don't think it is using llvmpipe, since
>> /usr/lib64/gnome-session-check-accelerated-helper succeeds.
>> Is there a better way to check that?
>
> System Settings → Details.
>
>> Which Intel chipset is your old laptop using?
>
> Intel® 965GM. I guess that is newer than your laptop. My laptop has a
> BIOS from 2007, I guess it was made around that time. GNOME shell seems
> really smooth, same as my main machine though resolution is just
> 1280×1024.

I have connected my Atom netbook to a big monitor, and it handles
perfecly the FullHD resolution. Gnome full mode works fine and fast.
Its an Atom N450, graphics are recognised as N10 or Intel(R) Pineview GM.

All this with the monitor as the _ONLY_ monitor active.

If I try to use it on a multi-monitor setup, X gives a message about non-tiled
framebuffer and gnome-shell is slooooow as hell, unusable.
Probably that is a hardware limit, or a bug, because it happens even if
the external monitor is a projector at 1024x768.

I was wating to do more tests to submit a bug....

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>        \               Winter is coming...