[Mageia-dev] Admin Panel

Steven Tucker tuxta2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 11:30:13 CET 2012

Hi all,

well it is very pleasing to see there is discussion about Admin Panel on
the very day it is uploaded, I hope such enthusiasm continues.

I think I have just learned another lesson, and that is that I should
have made some sort of announcement prior to dumping the code in svn, so
here is the belated announcement ....

<---------------------------------------------------------------------->

We welcome Admin Panel !!

A new piece of software that was proposed some time ago, has now reached
a minimum amount of code to warrant pushing up to the Mageia repo. It is
still in very early stages and such has plenty of issues to work out,
but it is a working start.

Some design decisions that should be known.

1/ It is a general purpose tool, so should be able to be ported to other
distro's with as little effort as possible.

2/ It is modular. The core of the program simply organises and lists
available Administration modules which can then be launched. The modules
themselves are completely stand alone. So the panel should not require
libraries associated with a particular distro, but the modules
themselves can. While it would be nice to have a single consistent
language, modules can be written in Perl, Python, Ruby or C++. If it is
a choice between a python module for a certain task or no module I
personally would rather have the python module, if someone is willing to
write, or rewrite it in Perl then that is also great.

3/ Each module is the work of its individual creator, and so should be
copyrighted to that individual and should be seen as completely
independent of Admin Panel itself (Admin panel simply has the ability to
launch the module).  For this reason, each module should have a header
stating the author and license.

4/ All suggestions and help is welcomed and encouraged.

We hope Admin Panel evolves to be a useful tool.

<---------------------------------------------------------------------->

So that was the announcement, now for a short background.

I don't want to talk for Matteo or Angelo, so my comments are purely
about me.
I have never written Perl code prior to Admin Panel, and only used Perl
after advice from Mageia mail list and irc.
As such I am under no illusions about it's quality, if anyone would like
to review my code (so far the code discussed has been Matteo's) I would
love to receive tips and/or criticisms. I really just read some Perl
basics and then put things together how I would logically think to do so
with little to no referencing to other Perl code or idioms, I am sure
there are better ways. Also I have not yet commented the code, or
documented how to write a module, these are still on the todo list.

I really do want criticism, I wont be hurt, upset or defensive, but
please keep in mind that I am not a Perl dev, do not use Perl for
anything else, and if there is a more skilled person willing to do the
coding I would be more than happy to hand over the reins. I am only
doing this because it solves a problem I have been wanting fixed for a
long time, I think it would be useful for many people and am willing to
do it if no one else is.

We still need to do a fair bit on the core of Admin Panel, I would like
to think we could get it pretty much done by years end (up till now I
have only put in 10 minutes here and there every couple of weeks), after
which we can start making/porting modules, and it would be great if
anyone who likes what we are trying to achieve, helps with the effort
(and you don't have to wait till the core is complete, you can start now
if you like).

On the point of putting the license header in each file, it's not many
files, so I don't see a problem, though name spacing is a good idea
anyway. Each module will need to put in a header, so we would only be
saving ourselves a couple of files, so probably not worth worrying about.

Anyway, I hope my contribution amounts to something eventually, and
please feel free to join in.

Cheers
Tuxta