[Mageia-dev] Fw: Draft of a Letter to the Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC).

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Nov 8 13:57:13 CET 2012

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 13:15:26 +0100
From: Pierre Jarillon <jarillon at abul.org>
To: Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org>
Subject: Re: [Mageia-dev] Draft of a Letter to the Software Freedom Law Center
(SFLC).

Le jeudi 8 novembre 2012 11:01:32, vous avez écrit :
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 20:49:20 +0100
>
> Pierre Jarillon <jarillon at abul.org> wrote:
> > Le mardi 6 novembre 2012 23:39:43, Shlomi Fish a écrit :
> > > So our question is: assuming we package faac as a package, can we still
> > > provide pre-made and binary packages of GPLed programs that use it?
> >
> > you can add few words about interoperability
> > http://interoperability-definition.info/en/
> > which allows to read legally acquired datas.
>
> I have read that page, but I don't understand how interoperability is
> related here? The problem is that strong copyleft licences such as the GPL
> impose restrictions on what are the acceptable licenses they can be linked
> against, which undermines compatibility. I'm not sure I'm happy with that,
> but many developers seem to like using these licences.

I understand this view of the problem. I take another way with the freedom of
formats. Patents are incompatibles with interoperability. If you agree that
interoperability is a right, patents on interfaces must be outlaw.

In Europe patents on methods, algorythms, software and ideas are not allowed,
but the EPO often forget that to make more money.

--
Pierre Jarillon - http://pjarillon.free.fr/
Vice-président de l'ABUL : http://abul.org