[Mageia-dev] 2nd Draft of a Letter to the Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC).

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 09:59:57 CET 2012

Le 09/11/2012 02:36, Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
> On Friday 09 November 2012 01:55, andre999 wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be acceptable if the GPL code were *optionally* linked to
>> non-GPL code, that is linked to the non-GPL code iff it were available ?
>> (that is, if installed)
>> We  could pose that specific question as well.
>> Just an idea ...
>
> Good thinking.
> I think we should, since we're asking.

"linking" means "at compilation time", and due to the way rpm works,
enforcing a strict dependency against the package providing the needed
symbols. Dynamic loading of some feature is a plugin mechanism,
involving a software modification effort. If we had to invest any time
for such kind of engeenering effort, it would be wiser to seek for a
definitive (aka faac-free) solution, rather than make the ugly solution
just a little bit less ugly.

Now, when dealing with legal matters, if you expect a comprehensible and
useful answer, you'd better focus on a single issue. So, I wouldn't
raise additional options we might
eventually-realize-if-we-had-the-opportunity. KISS.

--
BOFH excuse #180:

ether leak