[Mageia-dev] ANN: Upgrading from Mageia 2 via urpmi

Thomas Spuhler thomas at btspuhler.com
Sun Nov 18 18:59:09 CET 2012

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 09:40:21 AM Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> On 18 November 2012 17:37, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> > This package, when installed will add a new menu option to your
> > bootloader. Simply install this package, reboot, select the "Mageia 3
> > Upgrade Preparation" entry boot, wait while your FS is converted and
> > then perform a urpmi upgrade as you would normally.
> >
> > I've not specifically tested the upgrade part, only the installation and
> > creation of the initrd and bootloader entries in grub. I've also not
> > done this on an mga2 machine yet but will do soon enough.
> >
> > I just wanted to get this package "out there" for anyone wanting to
> > update their mga2 machines to mga3 a3 but not wanting to use the
> > installer.
> >
> > At present there are a few limitations:
> >
> > 1. It requires kernel 3.3.8-2.mga2 to be installed (any flavour should
> > work). A specific kernel version is not really 100% necessary but it
> > does mean I can add hard requires to the package. This is only desirable
> > to prevent the situation where users install this upgrade package but do
> > not run it and later remove the kernel used to generate the initrd for
> > the bootloader menu item, thus breaking it. Any smarter ideas on how to
> > manage this welcome.
>
> Cannot you just made dracut/mkinitrd always include it and just
> rebuild initrds so
> that any kernel with work
>
> > 2. If you have /usr in a separate partition and have it mounted ro in
> > your fstab, you will have to manually change the fstab to rw for the
> > upgrade boot.
>
> Cannot you just automatically remount / rw?
This is great, but if you are running it on a Virtualbox, it will not work (at least it didn't work
2 weeks ago). The problem is I (you) lose the network connection at the initial 100+ packages
upgrade and you cannot finish it.
I may try it again after the holidays, but we may need to put a warning out.
The other option would be to download everything before the actaul upgrade.

--
Best regards
Thomas Spuhler