[Mageia-dev] What the hell is wrong with MGA2s suspend/sleep/hibernate?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Tue Nov 20 13:22:58 CET 2012

On 11/20/2012 12:30 AM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> In the last day, a simple typo have sendt my MGA2 desktop system so sleep. (The Sleep key is right next to the F12 key. I use F12 extensively.)
> When it wakes up, there is NO network (ethernet) of any kind. Nothing!
Assuming you're using KDE, KDE Power Management has been AFU for months
now.

Originally, the problem was that if you disabled all use of
sleep/hibernate, dpms would get turned on with a random (usually short)
timeout, and the display would randomly (and often) go dark.

This never got fixed, but new PM bugs have surfaced.  What I notice
currently is that PM has lost the ability to distinguish
AC/Battery/LowBattery.  I was seeing the display dim when on AC, even
though dimming was shut off for AC.  On a guess, I shut off dimming for
Battery, and the display brightened again.  After a while, it dimmed
again, so I shut dimming off for LowBattery, and it brightened up again
and hasn't dimmed since.

So, my advice would be to disable Sleep/Hibernate on all power settings
and see if your symptom disappears.